Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Good Times and Destitution

As concerning some of the time spent in Monterey, Ca. and more Reading and Drinking in Slow-Motion.

I.
Monterey("[the] bad habit, [the] memory, [the] nightmare"--my old, loving transfiguration of that famous "Row") is a place where, by accident, by the sheer probability of small town circumstance, you will see everyone you do or don't want to, like the inadvertent conjuring of ghosts in the pillow-laid head of a person nearing sleep. This trip was no exception to that statement.

In spite of a certain book(the one quoted above), which was considered offensive by many of my friends and family members at the time of its "release"(can you say that about self-published [adjective for the style/subject matter of my then work?), I was received well in Monterey. My arrival came with an Easter basket and several pitchers of mimosas(a tasteful omission is being made here of a revelatory talk of which the end result, I'd like to think, was the soothing of "family matters" and a heightened sense of kinship--aye, best pal?) and my departure with a bag full of goodies that kept my blood sugar steady on my train ride to LA.

In between these delicious treats, though, there was the path from Pacific Grove(where I was staying) and Monterey, which served as the collision course for imminent meetings of Person 1(a good, old friend who I had not spoken to for some time, yet immediately fell in step with to the nearest bar for beers and catching up), Person 2(an encounter I was dreading--for good reason; it made me feel like hell to recall certain casual observations made of them(without good reason I sometimes think) in the past--but who called my name amiably, hugged me, and bade me farewell with a "god bless you, and peace be with you"), and Person 3(a staple "sighting" in the town of Monterey, and a person who I was surprised to have not seen more of--a great guy). Then there was the sushi restaurant where I saw Person 4(who I am always happy to see, and who prepared--he's the sushi chef at the restaurant--and paid for a wonderful meal, which I would like to formally thank him for), and, of course, the old haunt at East Village Cafe where I, of course, again, ran into Persons 5-12(all of which were expected and pleasant--no, better than pleasant, "better than expected": right and good).

Fittingly, yes, I showed up in Monterey with very little announcement and I saw everyone; we had a good time, we enjoyed ourselves.

II.
With that in consideration, it came as no surprise to me that the reading at East Village was attended and books were sold. The folks there, being that they were friends of mine, set aside the lounge area for me with seats that I probably would not fill(and didn't--though this was the highest number of people I've read to yet), and tables that I eventually encouraged people to fill with drinks, preferably alcoholic ones, not because alcohol was necessary for them to enjoy the reading but because we were at a ga'damn cafe and you cannot just sit there without buying anything. Willingly, they complied.

Although the reading went well(next copy to be sold is 36/75), and my friends were receptive, it is painful for me to say that The Poor House remains in destitution. In LA now, funds have run considerably low, even past our means I'm afraid. We are not beggars over here, but neither are we prideful folks. Though one could say that we do pride ourselves in being "humble"--sort of. In any case, we have no shame in saying this: funds for The Poor House's Reading and Drinking in Slow-Motion Tour have finally dwindled down so far as to justify the previous use of the word, "destitution," making it nearly impossible to continue without the support of our "fans"; if you are in a position that allows you to do so, we would be extremely grateful for donations in small or large amounts that can be sent via paypal--they can be sent to: benjaminjane[at]gmail.com. Or, just buy a copy of the First Edition Mock-Up
of "In Full Bloom" for $10, along with $2 for shipping, and a copy will be promptly mailed.

Thank you everyone for everything--ever.
Benjamin Font

No comments:

Post a Comment